Monday 23 February 2015

5 ways to streamline your morning




I have something to admit: I'm chronically late (apologies to my friends for putting up with this). Most of this probably has to do with the fact that I'm a night owl... Unfortunately, this may also be a biological thing as I'm often surprised by how quickly the time has passed when all I did was sit down to eat a muesli bar, and suddenly 2 hours has gone by. I've come to rely a lot on routine to help me catch my morning train in time, and it helps that I no longer need to rush around like a headless chicken looking for my keys and phone. These days I'm a lot more punctual than I used to be and I hope I'll stay that way!


Here are some tips to follow to get ready in less time:

1. Pack your things before you go to bed.
Before I go to sleep, I like to make sure everything I'll need for the next day in put away in my bag. Keys? Check. Pen? Check. Wallet? Check. Then I leave my bag by the door, so I can just grab it as I leave.

2. Plan your outfit beforehand.
I don't know about you, but there were times when I was late because I didn't know what to wear (cue every stereotype about women and clothes). Yep. So I began to think about what I wanted to wear the next day as I got into bed, and this helped me cut down a lot of time in the mornings. It's also become so much more fun to get dressed in the morning, because I'll be excited to try a new outfit combination I've never done before. 

3. Make your own breakfast on the go.
I hardly ever eat breakfast at home anymore. You'll probably find me eating a granola bar on my way to uni. Instead of wasting your hard-earned coin on overpriced muffins from the cafe, try making your own healthy fruit salad, smoothie or nut mix the night before and placing it in the fridge, or stuff your pantry with healthy snacks you can eat as you go.

4. Play your favourite songs as you get ready.
I find I'll move a lot faster if I've got a good album playing on my laptop after I wake to get me pumped for the day. There's something just so invigorating about listening to Lorde or Radiohead in the morning that I'll just rush through my routines and be out the door in no time at all. Just don't spend too long singing in front of the mirror, okay?

5. Give yourself a time limit for each activity.
I like to time myself as I get ready. Five minutes to brush my teeth. Five minutes to get dressed (it helps that Australia is hot most of the time - I'll just throw on a dress). Ten minutes to do my hair. When you make getting ready a game, you'll find yourself striving to beating the clock each time. Then you can leave a little more time for the important things, like makeup ;)


Of course, not all of these tips will suit everyone (especially if you have kids). However, you can always adapt these tips to apply to your own lifestyle and perhaps they may even inspire you to come up with your own.

Do you have any tricks to save time on your mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment