Monday 2 March 2015

DIY Denim Bow Tie



I don't know what's come over me, but lately I've been rather obsessed with bow ties. They imbue upon you a sense of class no other accessory can give. And who can deny something loved by both Bill Nye and the Doctor?

So here's a little DIY I did with some scrap denim I had lying around. I can't wait to wear it with my favourite button-ups!

What you'll need:
  • Some denim fabric
  • Matching thread and needle
  • Scissors

1. Cut out two pieces, the larger one 20 x 12 cm and the smaller one 20 x 3 cm. 
2. Taking the larger piece, fold it in half with the wrong side facing out. Stitch along the open edge and then flip it back right side out.
3. Have the seam sit horizontally down the centre. This will ensure your bow looks smooth.
4. Fold the edges in towards the middle. You can glue it down, but I find that stitching in together is more secure.
5. Turn it around and pinch the middle so you get the three folds in the centre (like in the image). Stitch through the centre to secure the shape of the bow.
6. Take the smaller piece and fold it so the raw edge is hidden, then stitch or glue it flat. Wrap it around the centre of the bow, secure and cut off the excess.

There! Nice and simple. You can either attach a safety pin or ribbon to the back so you can wear it around your collar (or put it in your hair?). Then we can all be as cool as the Doctor ;)


Looking good, Matt.

Image: Variety.com

1 comment:

  1. AND a Doctor Who fan? I think I'm going to like this blog a lot :)

    ReplyDelete